I’m Katherine and I’m Kapcha’ing The World one step at a time.
I love all things travel, food, culture and photography related and will never say no to that little bit of luxury in life.
I was born in New Zealand, but grew up in the UK, so even though I am a kiwi, I sound like a Brit. I am the eternal wanderer and always looking for that next adventure. I live to travel the world and aim to see as much of it and meet as many people as possible before I die.
I am a fully fledged tea addict. I love it. It’s probably the one truly English thing that rubbed off on me. I am also a big fan of white wine and bubbles – especially a good Marlborough Sauv Blanc, vodka – am loving Dan Aykroyd’s Crystal Head and 23rd Street Rose Vodka, and decided to become a rum connoisseur with a friend in Melbourne, so am partial to Dark ‘n’ Stormy or a Mai Tai or two. So if we ever meet, make sure you supply me with any or all of the above and we’ll get along famously.
I am an avid foodie and keen cook. I love sampling all the gastronomic delights a country has to offer and love making various ‘masterpieces’ when on the road or in the kitchen when I’m home. I am a water baby and love the ocean so scuba diving is a must whenever I can. One of my favourite place so far was scuba diving in the Philippines on the island of Boracay. It’s a magical place above and below water.
I learnt how to spin poi whilst in the Philippines and every now and again I find someone with fire ones silly enough to let me have a go.
I have lived in several countries including New Zealand (Christchurch and Wellington), UK (London, Winchester, Walton on Thames, Kingston and Shepperton) and South Korea where I taught English for two years in Ulsan and Bucheon. Therefore, home is wherever I am at the time, which currently is in the big bustling city of Melbourne, Australia.
I am available for press trips and reviews of products or services. Advertising is also available on my website so please contact me to find out more information. As always any articles or reviews written will be my own opinions whether good or bad.
For more information you can contact me!
Also take a look at my photos on Instagram, or check out what I’m up to on my Facebook page.
Here are some random things about me you might like to know
1. I have a huge phobia of snakes because of my step dad and an incident in Tunisia when I was about 6!
2. I always wanted to be a war correspondent or a photojournalist (and an astronaut, the first female F1 Driver and the first female fighter pilot too, but that’s a whole other story!) Travel writer was up there too!
3. I have a real issue packing light – I just haven’t mastered the art yet. But I am working on it.
4. One day I wanna do the gumball rally or cannonball run in an all girl team – AND WIN!
5. I want to go and live in Melbourne, Paris and New York one day – my 3 favourite cities in the world. (Melbourne now ticked off the list!)
6. When I retire I plan on heading to Boracay in the Philippines.
7. I wanna join the mile-high club!! hehe (1 failed attempt so far. Damn you air hostesses!)
8. I always thought I was the lost Russian princess Anastasia when I was younger – my great-grandma used to tell me the story and I thought it was me (OK so I was 4 and clearly couldn’t work out the impossible timeline)
9. I’m a hopeless romantic – like sweeping off feet and all that jazz – flowers, candlelit dinners, romantic walks etc etc
10. My favourite thing to have for breakfast is marmalade and cheese on toast
11. My favourite flower is a beautiful smelling rose or peony.
12. Apparently I am psychic and a white witch! Got told by a witch at a country fair in Cornwall once
13. I am a glamper not a camper. I like the finer things in life and am not afraid to say it. Yes I love backpacking but I have to say the luxury way is what I would choose first!
14. I’ve worked in sales and marketing for most of my aduItlife. I am a born salesperson and love meeting and talking to new people.
15. I’m tea obsessed! Drinking it, learning about it, buying it, and surrounding myself with lovely nerdy tea obsessed people too. Dream of working in the tea industry one day.
My favourite quotes about travel:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” St Augustine
“For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” Robert Louis Stevenson
“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” Henry Miller
“A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” Lao Tzu
“The journey not the arrival matters.” T.S. Eliot
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
RG Bud PhelpsAugust 4, 2011 at 9:44 am
You have developed a very clean and professional blog and it was a joy to navigate throughout your postings.
Deborah & the furry gang in OKJanuary 22, 2012 at 5:17 pm
I found you via Pinterest when you repinned one of mine. It’s always a pleasure to find an interesting blog. Blessings, health and pet Sammy for me. Deborah
DikaMarch 12, 2012 at 5:00 am
As you may know very well these days blogs are cropping up all over the place. Most people starting such blogs think they can write anyway but things on their blog show this is definately not true. Your blog solely stands out for your writing style, it is actually quite engrossing. Keep at it.
LilyJune 12, 2012 at 12:19 pm
Hi Katherine, I love your blog name! 🙂 And we sound so alike, ha. I’m thinking about teaching abroad as well, I may email you one of these coming days, after TBEX. Great to connect! 🙂
KatherineJune 12, 2012 at 1:35 pm
Thanks Lily. Love yours too. Thanks for following. Would love to hear about your experience at TBEX after you go – I’m similar in that I haven’t been to any conferences yet either. Have a great time and chat soon.
JayneMay 4, 2016 at 11:31 am
I found your website through Travel Massive 🙂 seems we have a lot in common.. travel, tea, wine, food, scuba diving!! I look forward to reading through your website I’m sure there are few places you have been to that are on my list.
KatherineMay 19, 2016 at 12:33 pm
Thanks Jayne. Looks like we do indeed.